Pratik V: Hello, this is 'Pratik V'. Please allow me a moment to read the question you submitted to iBot and I'll respond to you shortly.
Yes, please tell me hoe may I help you?
how*
LiranViper: Hi Patrik
Pratik V: Hi
How are you doing today?
LiranViper: reading all your documentation regarding margin and margin requirement, I understand that in Margin account (Reg T), the Maintainance Margin is 25% during active market hours (intraday margin), and overnight it reverts to the 50%
i'm really great. i hope you too
my question is, what happens if I'm satisfying the 25% requirement but not the 50%. would I get Margin Call? or just would be prevented from opening new positions?
in the overnight scenario
Pratik V: Let me check your account, one moment please
LiranViper: its a general qustion, not about my current account status
I'm planning to leverage on margin, and want to make sure I understand the risks before I do
Pratik V: I understand but the margin requirements are based on different factors such as Country of Legal Residence, your account entity and products you trade on leverage.
In general, for instance you hold USD 10000 in your account
LiranViper: allright
Pratik V: You will allowed USD 40000 intraday leverage (1:4) and USD 20000 overnight leverage (1:2).
However, if you utilize USD 40000 for intraday and you do not have balance we will liquidate your position to bring your account to margin compliant.
Also, you can read more about the same on this link:
https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=24862
LiranViper: If i'm utilizing USD 30,000, and then overnight occurs. would IB liquidate my positions? or just prevent me from opening new positions?
(USD 30,000 satisfies the intraday requirements, but not the overnight)
Pratik V: If you are using USD 30000 and have balance USD 10000 you will not be provided more that USD 20000 for overnight.
We will liquidate
Also, I cannot tell me exactly because again it depends upon the product you are trading and its Margin Requirements
You may have to refer to the above link for the same as we have examples with the screenshot
LiranViper: so it means that if i'm a long-term buy-and-hold investor (not doing intraday active trading), i need to consider the 1:2 ratio and not the 1:4. i got it right?
Pratik V:
https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=24176 > How to check Margin for different products.
As I already mentioned above, we only provide 1:2 overnight leverage, but again it will depend upon the product.