• חשבון מסחר באקסלנס טרייד : סנט למניה במסחר בארה"ב (מינימום $5 לעסקה), פטור מדמי טיפול לשנתיים, קורס במתנה ובונוס 100 ש"ח למצטרפים חדשים. להצטרפות דיגיטלית לחצו כאן .

A Belated Self-Introduction

EnsilZah

משתמש רגיל
הצטרף ב
8/9/17
הודעות
דירוג
Not sure which of the forums this fits in best, but I'll try this one.

Hi, I’m Tammuz, I’ve been lurking around for a while, writing the occasional message.
I figured I’d introduce myself as is common in these parts.

First, let’s get the language part out of the way.
I use English because I find it easier to express myself in, I speak Hebrew just fine with perhaps a barely perceptible vestigial accent of a former five year old immigrant.

It’s just that growing up with computers in the 90s, choosing to read classical works of (science) fiction in their native tongue, I grew comfortable with the language.

I came here (meaning this blog and forum) not due to some aspiration for early retirement (I’m pretty ok with doing my job, sometimes even looking forward to see what a new day may bring), but just because I had some money laying around, and I wanted to figure out the optimal use for it.
The impetus for this came in the form of a phone call from the bank, informing me that I have too much money laying around in savings plans that produce a nominal bupkis and that I might want to consider investing it in some funds instead.

My current situation, and this may horrify some, is having about 90% of my liquidity invest in a mildly volatile stock by the name of TSLA (There have been ups and there have been downs, but I guess this is what people who follow sports teams feel like), don’t bother trying to convince me to diversify, I’m sticking to it, though at this point I have enough and future funds will go into more conservative avenues.

Workwise, I am currently in a somewhat unique dual role of a 2D artist and pipeline developer at a VFX and animation studio.

They don’t pay high-tech rates, but I get more than I can spend for the four days a week I’m there.
I’ve been there for a bit over four years, and I find it quite comfortable, I like the people, I like the dogs, I like the dim lighting and they don’t mind me being barefoot.
It’s probably the best place one can aspire to, in this particular industry, within the confines of our small country, with the exception perhaps of the somewhat related gaming industry, but I really dislike the prospect of working for a gambling operation.

As for pastimes, I enjoy a couple of long bike rides a week along the waterway.
I used to do figure drawing and painting every week, but I got bored with it.
I used to do Ninjutsu but that also grew tiresome.
Other than that, the usual, movies, games, food, working on personal projects that I never finish.
I’ve sort of given up on the romantic angle, I think I’m too set in my ways to accommodate someone else at this point, though that might just be rationalization.

In regard to plans for the future, the closest thing I have to a goal is leaving the country at some point.
I feel the demographics are conspiring against me and it’s best to hatch an exit strategy before the music stops.
I’d like to move somewhere warm and English-speaking where I can work in my current field and level of quality.
I tried looking for some work in the US, but my skills are not specialized enough to justify my relocation.

So, to that end, I figured I might invest some of my excess funds in studying for an MA in Storytelling Design (I still have a couple of courses I need to redo to receive the preceding degree).
I figured I’d hone my skills in a sub-field I’m interested in pursuing (I’m quite the generalist at the moment), and as a bonus get a work permit for a couple of years to find an American employer.
I can handle the tuition, but having recently checked the rent in San Francisco, I’m no longer sure this is a viable course of action.

Ultimately, the goal is to retire to Mars on one of SpaceX's rockets.

Anyway, that’s me, most comments or suggestions will be welcomed.​

סתם שאלה, אם אתה גר בארץ איזו אוניברסיטה נותנת כאן תואר שני ב...עיצוב עלילתי? ('עיצוב סיפור'?'תכנון סיפור'?'עיצוב נארטיבים'? איך לכל הרוחות מתרגמים את זה?).

ואגב, מצטער אם זה קצת חטטני, תרגיש חופשי לא לענות, אבל באמת אימצת שפת אם מקריאת ספרים בלבד?(כמוני כמוך אבל בהחלט מקנא בשליטה המרשימה שלך בשפה. לי, קריאה כזו של ספרים העניקה אוצר מילים לא רע (לפי כל מיני מבחנים אינטרנטיים גם ביחס לדוברים מלידה) אבל להבנה בלבד, מעולם לא הצלחתי לשחזר את הידע שלי בהתבטאות).

נערך לאחרונה ב:
The Idea is to study in the US, so as to gain access to a preferred job work visa afterwards.

Books, computer games, movies and TV.
I'm not sure I'd go as far as a mother tongue, but I only find myself writing in Hebrew when filling out forms.
When talking to friends, we usually switch between Hebrew and English mid-sentence, whichever is more appropriate to put the point across.​

אה, תואר ראשון ממוסד אמריקאי, טוב לא מכיר את המערכת שם. מאיזה מוסד? (סתם בשביל החטטנות וכי מעניין לשמוע את המערך האקדמי שם).

נו, שפת אם או לא אבל עברנו מסלול די דומה בנוגע לצריכת האנגלית והרמה שלך בבירור יותר... חסרת עקבות וחופשית. יחד עם זאת השיח המתמיד והבלתי אמצעי עם דוברים טבעיים של השפה בסביבה שדורשת התנהלות באנגלית בלבד... כן, זה כנראה מה שעושה את ההבדל.

I use English because I find it easier to express myself
ביומיום? נשמע... מפתיע.

עברית יכולה להטריד בכתיבה כשיש בעיות ימין/שמאל (אימיילים) או כשצריך לשלב הרבה מושגים טכניים באנגלית, אבל כאן בפורום המושגים הטכניים דווקא בעברית, וזה גם מקטין את הקהל שלך.

vestigial accent of a former five year old immigrant
גם מפתיע. היה לי הרושם שלפחות עד גיל עשרה מוקדם אנשים מגיעים למבטא מושלם.

perhaps of the somewhat related gaming industry, but I really dislike the prospect of working for a gambling operation
משחקים והימורים הם דברים שונים, לא? למרות שזו שאלה פתוחה אם יש תעשיית משחקים בארץ. :)
(נראה שאו שאנשים עוברים לחו"ל, או שהם מראש היו שם.)

אבל כאן בפורום המושגים הטכניים דווקא בעברית, וזה גם מקטין את הקהל שלך.
I'm not really concerned about the size of my audience.
And I'm sure most of the terms exist in English, though I haven't haven't found a good word for the namesake of the blog.
גם מפתיע. היה לי הרושם שלפחות עד גיל עשרה מוקדם אנשים מגיעים למבטא מושלם.
It might not be something other people detect but I occasionally catch myself making a sound that doesn't go in the way I expected and is closer to my first language.
משחקים והימורים הם דברים שונים, לא? למרות שזו שאלה פתוחה אם יש תעשיית משחקים בארץ.
All of the studios that make gambling games I've seen in Israel refer to themselves as game companies or gaming companies.​

יכול להיות בעיה לכתוב באנגלית (וגם אם נניח שאפשר, בצורה שגם הקוראים יבינו), משהו כגון... אני רוצה למשוך פקדון פר"י, להוון קופ"ג ישנה, למשוך פיצויי פיטורים, לקזז מע"מ תשומות, ולהעביר הכל לשילוב של קרן השתלמות, קופגל"ה לפי תיקון 190, ופוליסת חסכון. בהמשך הכוונה היא לעשות פדיון רעיוני שנתי. :)

studios that make gambling games I've seen in Israel refer to themselves as game companies
יופמיזמים זו בעיה אחרת.

So I've completed my bachelor's degree and it's time to make decisions about the future.

I got a few job offers in the last year, but it appears my technical skills are in more demand than my artistic ones, and the offers were all in Europe, which is a bit too cold for me.

I already informed my employers I'll be doing something about this in the next 6 months.

So looks like my plan right now is to study for Master's degree in the US, hoping I'll be able to find a job and stay there after the completion of the degree.
It appears tuition and living expenses for the duration would be somewhere over $100k, which I can afford, but would take a not insignificant bite into the money I have saved up, so it feels like a bit of a gamble, at the age of 34.
It also appears I would not be able to work for the first year of study, according to the laws regulating student visas.

Any suggestions or personal experience would be appreciated.​

So I thought I had a pretty decent plan, sign up for this place called Academy of Art University (The somewhat redundant name should have been my first clue), do the first year or two online to cut down on costs, and then finish the final year on site, get all the benefits of a degree in the US, stay and work there as long as the law allows.

But then I looked at some reviews of the place online, and it seems to have an unreasonably high number of negative reviews.
A lot of people saying it's a scam, stuff like being charged over $3000k per course that's basically a youtube video, something like a 7% graduation rate, a dispute with the government over whether they have to disclose job placement statistics, etc.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/academy-of-art-university-san-francisco-43

So now I'm not so sure of what to do next.
I might still register for a few classes, see if it might work out, worst case scenario I'm out $10k.

Alternatively, I might focus on other less risky options I've been considering.

למה דווקא המקום הזה ולא משהו מוכר יותר?

יש בצפון אמריקה (אני מדבר מניסיון בקנדה) הרבה מכללות קיקיוניות עם תארים פיקטיביים שכל המטרה שלהן זה למצוץ כסף מפראיירים, ואם הם מציעים לימודים אונליין אז זה עוד יותר מפוקפק. אף צכללה שמכבדת את עצמה לא תיתן לימודים אונליין

התואר הוא רק כדי שיהיה משהו רשמי, שאולי עוזר לקבלת אשרות?

התואר הוא רק כדי שיהיה משהו רשמי, שאולי עוזר לקבלת אשרות?
It's about 50/50 between wanting to take a couple of years off and focus on a subject I want to get better at, and having a work visa to get into the industry in the US.

So I guess I'm not going to be proceeding with my academic aspirations anytime soon.
The first school looked pretty good, had the specific subject I was interested in, was located in California, but it turned out to be a for-profit diploma mill that accepts anyone willing to pay, and is essentially a real-estate scheme run for a hundred years by a family taking over San Francisco one building at a time.

The second school that looked pretty decent was located in Texas, and was explicitly associated with a sect of Christianity, it wasn't exactly what I wanted, and was a bit too expensive.

I then looked at some schools in Singapore, which had a pretty good track record, would help me get better at my subject of choice, were much cheaper than the US, but would not help me with a work visa to location I was interested, still, a valid option, but then the corona thing hit and Singapore was quite close to the source.

And now air travel and large gatherings of people are restricted, so I guess I'm not going to engage in higher learning in the coming year.
On the bright side, I do have a not-insignificant amount of cash on hand which I was earmarked for tuition, but might be useful for investment, or general viral survival.
I was quite looking forward to it, though I was procrastinating, it would allow for a new location, new routine.
My current job has shifted in the last couple of years from working on images to working on code, and while at first it was a welcome respite from having to think too hard, but making useful things without emotional or narrative content doesn't feel quite fulfilling.

So I asked for a raise while I figure things out, to make it worth my time, but now with the virus situation it might not be on the table.

A good time to get off my ass (metaphorically speaking. In practice it would require me to stay on my ass for prolonged durations) and continue working on this animated short about a man trapped in a spaceship I've started developing ages ago, get something done, but I keep putting it off.​

So my net worth crossed the 2M shekel (arbitrarily decimally significant) threshold today, when accounting for the taxes I would pay if I sold it all now.
It's funny, because it was somewhere around a quarter of that this time last year.

My plans to find work or study abroad have borne no fruit due to the pandemic situation.
I'm still working at the same place, hopefully with better pay soon, and more focus on the work I find more compelling.
Apparently working in a field where a bunch of introverts operate computers in a vaguely coordinated manner, and produce a product that is in possibly higher demand than ever (namely audiovisual sequences) makes for some job security in these trying times.

Early retirement was never really the plan, in fact there was no plan beyond the accumulation of potential energy, but with work growing somewhat tedious I'm starting to seriously consider it at the ripe old age of 35.
I think there's a realistic chance of that within the next five years, at the rate things are going.
The sum I'm aiming for is over-provisioned, accounting for spending 30% more than I'm spending today, drawing out a lower percentage of the portfolio than the standard formula, excluding pension from the calculation, etc.

יש לך שיטות סודיות ל-300% רווח שנתי? :)
Not a system, just an all-in gamble.
0JNSlkE.png

מה זה, הפקת וידאו?
Animation and VFX.

Not a system, just an all-in gamble.
לא מסוכן מדי?

אגב, לתקופה בינונית, חברה שעוברת את TSLA היא AMD עם יותר מ-300% ל-3 שנים, ו-2500% ל-5 שנים. אבל פחות מ-70% לשנה האחרונה. :( (ורק 20% מאז השיא של שנת 2000.)
אני משער שזה נושא לדיון אחר...

נושאים דומים

Back
למעלה